To cancel GST registration in India, the registered person needs to follow the below steps:
- Login to the GST Portal - The first step is to log in to the GST portal using valid credentials.
- Go to Services Tab - Once the login is successful, go to the 'Services' tab and select the 'Registration' option.
- Click on 'Application for Cancellation of Registration' - After selecting the 'Registration' option, click on the 'Application for Cancellation of Registration' button.
- Fill out the Cancellation Form - The registered person needs to fill in the details in the cancellation form. The details include the reason for cancellation, the date of cancellation, and the bank account details to which the refund has to be credited.
- Submit the Cancellation Form - After filling in the details, the registered person needs to submit the cancellation form.
- Verification by Proper Officer - The GST officer will verify the application and the details submitted in the application for cancellation of registration.
- Issuance of Order - Upon successful verification of the details, the proper officer will issue the order for cancellation of GST registration.
After the cancellation of GST registration, the registered person needs to file the final GST return within 20 days from the date of cancellation. Also, the registered person needs to pay any outstanding tax liability, if any, before the cancellation of the registration.
In summary, the GST registration can be cancelled by logging in to the GST portal, going to the 'Services' tab, selecting the 'Registration' option, clicking on the 'Application for Cancellation of Registration' button, filling in the cancellation form, and submitting the form. Once verified, the proper officer will issue an order for the cancellation of GST registration.